Sunday, December 9, 2012

Vintage Vanity Dressing Tables


I really love all things vintage and one of the things that I am so drawn to when I visit thrifts stores are vintage vanity tables and dressers.  These vanities were very common in households back in the day.  When I was a little girl I thought they were the ugliest pieces of furniture, but as I got older I started to see the beauty in their design.    
 
 (via)


I think that these vanities look great in just about any room.  If you have a kitchen that is large enough I see nothing wrong with putting one in there  The drawers can be used to store silverware, kitchen towels and gadgets.

  










Painting vanity tables and dressers is very popular now a days.  Some people react to it as if it was a crime, but it does not matter to me.  Painted or not I love both looks.







I have four vintage vanities.  Here are photos of two of them.  This one is in my front parlor room and as you can see is not painted.  It is unusual to finds them with oval mirrors.  This gem I got from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for only $95.00. 
 
A woman came in and saw this before I did, but her mistake was going home without buying it.  Just a few minutes after she left the ReStore I walked in, fell in love with it and bought it.  After I left the other woman came back to the ReStore to buy it but it was too late.  When I went back to pick it up I was told that she was so upset.  If you snooze you lose.  The woman put a note in the top drawer saying that if I change my mind to please call her.  
  

This is a picture of one of my vanity dressers that I painted.  I have one other vanity dresser that is also painted and another vanity table that is not painted.














5 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh yes glam! I love vanities. Especially the Frechy ones you show. You certainly have the room for four vanities in your gorgeous home! You scored some gorgeous ones. And that mirror next to the last one you showed is AMAZING!!!! Thanks so much for joining the new blog and all the encouragement. I appreciate it so much. Hope you're staying cozy. My east coast son is coming home for Christmas. Yay! (p.s. Love your new pic.)

Anonymous said...

I love vintage dressing tables so much. A friend of mine found an art deco one during the council hard rubbish collection (it was in someones front yard about to be picked up to go to the tip) and she gave it to me. I love it so much, but I can't fit it in my bedroom now that we moved so my eldest daughter has managed to get it. She loves it. I never thought of using one instead of a traditional buffet/sideboard in the dining room...but now I think I must find one for there.

JoKnows said...

These are beautiful. I love your two! It makes me a little sad because my grandmother had one that she was going to give to my mom and it burned in a fire. My mom used it growing up.

Dainty Femme said...

Your vanities are lovely. Do you sell them?

Collar City Brownstone said...

No, I don't sell them. At one time I wanted to have a store, but I let go of that dream for another one I want more. Thank you for stopping by.