Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Medieval Towers of San Gimignano in Siena

(via)

I enjoyed reading the book A Month in Italy by Chris Brady.  The author writes about so many interesting places that I am inspired to put them on my list of places to visit.  I have always been drawn to Italy more than any other country in Europe.  I would love to one day be relocating there to live for a while.  Hopefully by then I will be married to a wonderful man who has a sense of adventure similar to mine.  Having a sense of adventure is a serious requirement for me in a man, but I will elaborate more on that in another post.  This post is about the medieval towers at San Gimignano.  .  . 


San Gimignano is a walled medieval town in Siena Italy that was founded in the third century BC by the Etruscans.  The town sits high up on a hill overlooking the sea.  From its vantage point the residents were able to spot anyone approaching to attack.  San Gimignano is famous for its medieval architecture and high towers.   The town originally had 72 towers, but now only 14 are left. 

(via)

San Gimignano also overlooks the beautiful Tuscan valley.

(via)

(via)

(via)
An entrance into the walled town.


There are many very narrow corridors and streets throughout San Gimignano. 

.(via)

(via)
I so much love older architectural styles. 

(via)

(via)

(via)


 (via)



No comments: