Friday, July 20, 2012

On Rue Tatin

Susan Hermann Loomis


I love reading books about people who relocate abroad.  It feds my own desire to do the same and that is why I loved reading this book so much.  Besides the boring chapter on purchasing a stove, I enjoyed every bit of this book.

Susan Herman Loomis is a journalost and food expert who relocates to France with her husband and son from the United States.  They purchase a 15th century former convent in Louviers, France.  The house sits in the shadows of The Gothic Church of Notre-Dame de Louviers.

This book centers around food, the adventures of restoring a 15th century home and the trials of immersing into French culture.  Susan and her husband welcome a daughter Fiona shortly after moving to France.  Like all travel essays written by people who love food I came away with an even more appreciation for eating well and using only the best ingredients.

I would love to experience one of Susan's classes in France which are held in her 15th century home.


4 Stars      

Susan's kitchen

 Stone wine cellar underneath Susan's home.  Wow!

 Susan Herman Loomis.



No comments: