Friday, November 25, 2011

The Day After

Today is black Friday.  I did not leave my house in the early hours of the morning or Thursday evening to wait for the stores to open up.  I admit that I have done it before and always had a lot of fun with my friend Trish, but I realize that this whole black Friday shopping thing takes away from the true meaning of the Thanksgiving Holiday.  It also takes away from the true meaning of Christmas.  My Mom came up for Thanksgiving and there was no way that I was going to leave my house and my Mom after dinner for black Friday shopping.  I did go out this morning with Mom and Trish, but it was at 10:30am after the bargain shopper rush.  I was surprised to see how empty the highway was and the stores were also empty because the crowd had already been there at 3:00am.  I went to Talbot's outlet store which I LOVE.  I did well there spending $41.81 for seven items that were all 80% off.  Everything I bought I needed.  After that we went to Target and then WalMart and then back home.  In total we were out for only about 3 hours.  

I did get some online bargains from webstores that I purchase natural hair care items from.  I was not going to purchase anything today that I did not need or use on a regular basis.

Black Friday frenzy, in my opinion, is one of the results of removing the blue laws.  When I was a little girl growing up I remember well all stores being closed on Sundays.  Only the corner store was opened for a few hours so that people could buy the Sunday newspaper.  Many restaurants were closed on Sundays too. 

Sunday used to be a day that most people spent worshiping God and giving thanks.  For the most part now-a- days it is just another day to shop.  As the years passed by Sunday shopping became no different than Saturday shopping.  The stores are opened late on Sundays now too.  When the blue laws were first done away with the stores were only opened from noon to 4 or 5pm on Sundays.  It is no surprise that black Friday has been made into such a big deal.  It has now been moved up to Thanksgiving day.  Some stores are now open on the day that is supposed to be set aside for family and friends to give thanks.

I truly believe that at some point humanity will return to better days where greed and materialism are not the most important things in life.                

No comments: