Monday, November 14, 2011

Collar City Brownstone makes a Splash!

Today is the debut of my blog.  I have been meaning to do this for at least 2 years and I am finally slowing down enough to actually do it.  I am a huge admirer of other blogs on interior decorating, restoring historic homes, cooking, traveling and arts & crafts.  If the blog has a lot of pretty pictures that is a big PLUS for me.  I will read through the blog and visit for a while before moving on.

I am the proud owner of a Queen Anne Victorian brownstone in Troy, New York, also known as the Collar City.  My beautiful home was built as a single family dwelling in 1871 by a very well to do stone mason from Massachusetts.  In the 1940's it was converted into a two family house.  Some time during the very late 1970's it was purchased by a slumlord and badly chopped up into four one bedroom apartments.  After many code violations the building was abandoned and sat empty and boarded up for twelves years before I came along and purchased her.  To say that she was in bad condition would be a gross understatement.  I love old historic homes though and I wanted to rescue this one.  She is now again a single family dwelling as she was originally.  It has been a labor of love.  I feel very fortunate to be the present steward of this beautiful house and give thanks every day for the honor.  

I also love living in Troy.  My neighborhood is presently in transition, but my neighbors are wonderful people.  The entire city of Troy is a great place to live and all of the people have taught me the true meaning of community.  My neighborhood group renamed our section of the city Uptown.  That was its name many years ago during the industrial revolution.  

I hope that I can inspire some of you who also love old cities and historic architecture to rescue one.  It can be one of the greatest joys.  

I am glad that you stopped by my blog for a visit.  Please have a seat, put your feet up and stay a while.    


No comments: