Thursday, March 14, 2013

Harry Kennedy, A 21st Century Man After My Own Heart


I signed up to do three blog post for Richard Armitage FanstRAvaganza week.   This is my second blog post for this fabulous celebration.  If you missed my first FanstRAvaganza post you can read it HERE

For this post, I want to focus on the character of Harry Jasper Kennedy that Richard portrayed in The Vicar of Dibley.  Harry is my second favorite RA character after John Thornton.  The reasons that Harry holds such a top place in my heart is because Harry is also a type of man that I would LOVE to end up with as my life partner (husband).



I love John Thornton, but he was a little bit too engrossed in his cotton mill for my liking.  Of course I want a man with a great work ethic, but Thornton was way over the top.  I see a lot of Thornton in Harry, but without the umbilical cords tied to work.  The show never went much into Harry's life before he moved to Dibley, so there isn't a back story, however I did get the impression that like John Harry mostly keeps to himself.  Like John, Harry loves books and reading.  Harry is an accountant and John also kept his own books at the mill.  In the book North & South John falls for Margaret at first sight.  In The Vicar of Dibley Harry fell for Geraldine the second he laid eyes on her.  Both Harry and John have character and integrity.   



Harry Kennedy is a lot more relaxed and does not take life so darned seriously.  Harry often takes long walks to just be in the moment and to appreciate the surroundings.



I love this scene in The Vicar of Dibley when Harry meets up with Geraldine after taking a walk.  Harry is so cool, calm and collected. 



After making some small talk with Geraldine he asks her to join him for dinner that evening.  I really love Harry's pleasant disposition.  
 





At dinner that evening Harry is very attentive to Geraldine.  Doesn't Harry look delicious too?


 

Harry had such a great time with Geraldine that night and you can see it on his face after he takes her home.  Harry is clearly smitten.

 


Harry also has a wonderful sense of humor.  He is determined to collect that kiss and what happens next had me laughing out loud.

 



 

Here is Harry returning from one of his long walks in which he has decided to marry Geraldine; only she does not know it yet.  Imagine a handsome man like Harry going on long walks to think of nothing but YOU. 
 




I got such a warm feeling inside after Harry proposed and he became officially engaged to Geraldine.   I see a balance in Harry's personality.  He could be serious at times, but he also knows how to relax a great deal and also when to throw in the fun and games.  I am assuming that Harry was not married before.  I guess his age to be late thirties, early forties, yet when he meets the woman who rocks his world, Harry does not hesitate to make a commitment.  Often men at that age who have never been married are not so easy to give up that status.  The longer you remain single and never married the more set in your ways you become and it is more of a challenge to start sharing your space later in life.  Harry was ready and even seemed eager to get married.  I found this aspect of Harry very refreshing.   



Harry never doubted that he and Geraldine were doing the right thing and it was Harry who had to reassure Geraldine instead of the other way around....sigh!  I am in love with Harry Kennedy all over again.
 



  
 









Harry Jasper Kennedy....a 21st century man after my own heart.

 
All photos courtesy of RichardArmitageNet.       

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* You really make him out to be ideal husband material. You have me convinced. He's a keeper!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Xenia, A-Man to that. I'm so sorry that it's all over. What a great series. Anyone who hasn't seen it can get it on Netflix. You won't be disappointed..Happy Thursday..Judy

Collar City Brownstone said...

Guylty, I know many would see Harry as too sweet, but I LOVE him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Collar City Brownstone said...

Judy, you know you inspired this post after I read your email...hee hee.

Sometimes it is a tie between Harry and Thornton though. I love them both.

zRYSIOwana said...

Oh Harry is sooo cute :) He could steal my kisses every day;)

Trudy said...

Harry isn't too sweet for me, either! You find yourself smiling just looking at him. He seems fairly confident in what he wants: he moved to a new place of his own initiative and he took very little time to decide upon Geraldine. He knows how to relax, and his devotion would be comforting.

Collar City Brownstone said...

Hi Trudy,

Yes, Harry is very confident and I LOVE that. He is not confident in an arrogant way either. Harry simply knows what makes him happy and reaches for it in a manner that is very masculine, but sweet.

Anonymous said...

A lovely look at Harry. I really enjoyed. All this Harry Kennedy appreciation is making me want to watch VOD soon!

Phylly3 said...

You are preaching to the choir here - I LOVE Harry - I think he must be my favourite chaRActer. I agree wholeheartedly with all your points. Don't you wish there were more men like Harry to go around?
Going along with your last post about how tall RA is - I just LOVE that part where Harry is lingering on Geraldine's doorstep, and when he leans on the top of the door frame to take a long last long look at her -- I SWOON. (He's so tall that he has to duck his head to get in the door!). Even if the door frame is shorter than normal - it still looks impressive! :)

Anonymous said...

Obviously, none of us know Richard personally (well, as far as I know), but I highly doubt he is the kind of man who likes one night stands, especially now that so much is at risk. I supposed if he was very drunk one night and alone and feeling vulnerable, maybe he'd find himself tempted. I do remember him saying he is not short of a date but he doesn't like 'to put out'. I took that to mean he is not promiscuous. I know I wouldn't sleep with anybody on a first date unless I was drugged by the guy. I'm 50 and I still haven't done it, so I doubt that would change even for someone as gorgeous and talented as Richard. Besides, a woman would have to be very, very beautiful to catch his eye, and I am no great beauty, so, even if I ever meet him that will never happen.

I think most of us like to believe we would retain our integrity if the temptation arose to do anything that would compromise it. That said, I think it's prudent to decide what you would do in a specific situation because - generally speaking - it makes it easier to resist temptation when we are faced with it. Does that make sense or am I rambling because it's 1am? Ha!

Thanks for your post. :)

Collar City Brownstone said...

Armyofchefs I encourage you to watch VOD. Not only is it wonderful to see Richard as Harry, but the show is funny.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! Harry steals my heart every time. Sighhhh!

Fabolaktuko said...

What a sweet post about sweet Harry. I'm falling in love with him all over again too.