Thursday, February 28, 2013

With This Ring I Thee Wed?



The post that I wrote this morning on engagement rings made me think about something else on the subject.  I have heard of women who after accepting the marriage proposal request to take the ring back to the jewelers to get another ring they like better.  These woman feel that the engagement ring picked out by their fiance is not to their liking at all.  Some women want a more elaborate diamond setting.

I personally want the engagement ring that my future husband picks out himself for me.  No matter what it looks like I would not want any other ring. To me the engagement ring is a token of his love and is not about representing my favorites in jewelry.  I would hope that in choosing an engagement ring for me that he thinks about what I would like, but whatever he gets for me I would treasure because I am sentimental in that way.

What are your thoughts?

 
 
   

4 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

My boyfriend (now husband) went ring shopping with me and let me pick out what I wanted. We picked out our wedding bands together too. But I can be revoltingly unromantic and practical. Our reasoning was that I was the one who had to wear it, so why get something I didn't like? I got a very simple white-gold ring with a single 1/4 carat princess-cut diamond.

A few years after we got married, the ring got caught on a shopping cart and one of the prongs bent, and the diamond popped out! I found it, fortunately, and my husband had it reset for my Christmas present that year. They reset it in a different way from the way it was originally -- it had 4 prongs originally, which made the diamond look square, which is part of why I chose that ring. When they reset it, they used 5 prongs so it would be less likely to pop out again, but now it looks round, which I don't like as well. However, my hubby got it repaired for me as a special gift, and so I wear it anyway.

Collar City Brownstone said...

I think that proposing and then going together to pick out the ring is a great option. Good for you and your husband!

Anonymous said...

i would like to think i am the woman that would stand by whatever her man picked out. However... i'd also like to think he knows my style so we wouldn't have that issue.

Collar City Brownstone said...

I was thinking the same thing. If a man has been dating you over a period of time, I like to believe that at some point he can discern your tastes in jewelry.