Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fresco Painting Today and Days Gone By

I cannot resist the beauty of frescoes.  I thought it was an art form that was forgotten, but I am thrilled to learn that artist throughout the country are learning how to paint frescoes.  

Fresco is the Italian adjective meaning fresh.  Frescoes are mural paintings that are done on wet plaster.  As the plaster dries the painting becomes one with the plaster.  As a result the painting holds up over thousands of years.      One of my many wonderful neighbors in The Collar City went to Italy last fall and was mesmerized by the frescoes she saw over there.  When my neighbor returned home she decided to learn how frescoes are made and then teach it to other people.  She found a school in Los Angeles, flew out there with another artist and has since taught 30 local artist how to paint frescoes.  I will tell you all about it in more detail in another post after her website is updated.  My neighborhood group will be working with her to have frescoes painted all over our already historic neighborhood.


This is an aerial view of the Sistine Chapel where many of the most famous frescoes were painted.  I have not been to the Sistine Chapel yet so I am a little surprised to see how plain it looks from the outside.  The Sistine Chapel is located in Vatican City.


  South side wall of the Sistine Chapel.


 Ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.




Detail of one of several fresco paintings in the Sistine Chapel. 

One of my favorite frescoes is The Last Supper painted by Leonardo da Vinci.


Fresco paintings on a building in Rome.

  (via) 
Fresco painting at Bonampak, in the state of Chiapas, Mexico.




Contemporary artists working on frescoes.



 






Al Fresco painting by artist Marie Massey








2 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh so beautiful and how wonderful that the art is still being taught. Hugs, Marty

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Xenia: I've never been to see the Sistine Chapel but I am surprised that it looks like that from the outside. I guess they put all the beauty on the inside..Happy Sunday..Judy