Monday, July 9, 2012

A Dinner of Herbs



Yesterday I streamed a six episode movie from Netflix titled A Dinner of Herbs.  The movie is based on the book by Catherine Cookson.  I never read any of Catherine Cookson's novels, but I have seen several movie adaptations of her books.  

The story spans a period of 39 years in the life of three childhood friends Hal, Roddy and Mary Ellen.  The location of the story is 19th century Northumberland, England.  All of the actors did a superb job.  The cinematography is excellent.  I was drawn into the story and watched all six episodes in one sitting.

I don't want to reveal any spoilers in case you want to see it.  The story contains elements of love, hate, murder and revenge.  The only thing that I did not like is that different actors where used to play the characters as older adults instead of simply "aging" the actors who played them.  The actress who played the older Mary Ellen did not look anything like the actress who played Mary Ellen in her twenties.  The same for the actor who played the older Hal.  I just could not make the shift in my mind to connect the older to the younger.  Other than that this is a very good movie.




 

No comments: