Monday, June 4, 2012

Windows

One of the features of my home that I love are the tall windows.  They are 8 feet tall and let in lots of light.  Large windows tend to be a common feature of most historic homes.  The homes in Washington Park in Troy are tall and wide.  I could not live in a house that did not get lots of light.  Even before I became a home owner and I was renting I would not take an apartment if it didn't get lots of light.

It can be a challenge finding curtains to fit when you have very tall windows.  The only retail store that I could find curtains long enough for my windows is JC Penney.  I ordered curtains from them by Chris madden.  The length is 104".  It still doesn't quite fit perfectly length wise but it still looks great.  After 104" the next size up is 120 and that is too long, so I settled for the 104" and I am still quite happy with it.  I didn't feel like sewing my own curtains since I have 27 oversize windows.  The curtains by Chris Madden that I purchased are very beautiful interlined curtains in cool white.  They are very luxurious and very good quality.  I waited for a great sale, purchased them online and got free shipping.


   You probably can't see my curtains that well in this photo since it is white against light walls, but they are the Chris Madden interlined curtains.  They are 104" in length but still do not quite reach the floor.  I always hang my curtain from inside the window trim so that the woodwork is not covered up.  I just don't see any point in having such beautiful woodwork if they are going to be hidden behind curtains.  I had to buy heavy duty spring rods to keep the curtains up because they do have some weight to them. 


 I love the large bowed window bay of this apartment building.



 One of the things that I want to do on the exterior side of some of my windows is to install iron balconettes.



 The tall windows of this lovely brownstone had to be replaced by its owner.  Oversize windows are expensive, but so worth it.   I was encouraged by one person to lower my ceilings and get standard size windows but I wasn't having any part of that.  I bought my house because of its lovely historic details.   

 Gorgeous window bay.


 Potato vine plants look lovely in window boxes.



     
I am not sure if this is a historic house, but I love these windows.  OMG, they are out of this world beautiful and allows in floods of light. 


2 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Xenia: First let me thank you for your sweet and kind comments on my blog. I am so happy to meet you and your new curtains are beautiful. I love tall windows also and your dining room looks lovely. Those are really nice curtains and your floors are beautiful. I am following you and look forward to seeing some of your previous posts. Come back anytime, it's great hearing from you..Happy Friday..Judy

Collar City Brownstone said...

Hello Judy,

Thank you so much for stopping by. I am glad that you like what you see here. I am following you too. Blogging is so much fun and opens up a whole new world to you. Nice to meet you.

Love and hugs!