Friday, April 27, 2012

Staircases

Photo by Neil Grabowsky of Through The Lens Studios.

Here is part of my grand front staircase.  I hand the steps sanded but the risers need to be painted.  The entire foyer up to the second floor landing needs to be painted but the foyer will be the last area of my house that I will finish.  The base of that thingy in the wall is actually marble.  People took exceptional pride in building homes back in the 1800's.  They were not just builders; they were artisans. 



My back staircase which right now is holding paint cans and other stuff temporarily until the restoration is over.  This area also gets loads of light.  I wonder if servants used to walk up and down those back stairs.  I painted the area country white and the trim is some type of lime greenish color.  I forgot the name of it.  I wanted my back staircase to be bright and cheerful.   The wicker chair that you see in the photo is a street find.  Someone put it out on the curb.  One person's trash is another person's treasure.  My friend Trish put it in her car for me.  It will be cleaned up, painted and put out on my back porch as soon as I put on a back porch...LOL  The house originally had a back porch.

No comments: