Friday, January 6, 2012

Taj Mahal

Imagine that your husband loves you so much that he builds this structure to honor you.  In 1631 Shah Jahan was so grief stricken over the passing of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal, that he built the Taj Mahal to honor her.   Mumtaz Mahal passed away while giving birth to their 14th child.  Construction of the Taj Mahal began in 1632.  The building is an incorporation of Persian architecture.









This is a magnificent building and India is a place that I have always wanted to visit despite the warnings of extreme poverty in that country.  I believe that even in India you can find hope, love and inspiration for life. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Xenia, do plan a trip to see the Taj Mahal. It is truly a magnificent sight. Pictures do not do it justice. It brought a tear to my eye when I saw it. I still find it hard to believe that a human being could design and create something so lovely.

Yes, India is poor, it is highly polluted (the sky around the Taj Mahal is green), you can't drink the water, and you will probably get sicker than you have ever been. But it is totally worth seeing. The Moghul architecture is beautiful, the people are resilient, the food is great.... I fell in love with India in the few days that I was there, and I can't wait until I am able to return.

Collar City Brownstone said...

Hello, Thank you so much for commenting on this blog post. Your comments about India makes me want to visit now more than ever. I am destined to visit the Taj Mahal and I know that I will fall in love with it. I am already mesmerized by it! A friend of mine spent a month in India back in 2011.

Thank you so much for stopping by.