Sunday, December 25, 2011

Some of my style icons

Diana Ross was my style icon when I was growing up.  I remember the first time I the Supremes performing on TV.  It was there first time appearing the Ed Sullivan Show on December 27, 1964.  I was spellbound by them and loved their singing.  The next day in school they were the talk among the girls because rarely did television showcase black women who were gorgeous and glamorous.  All of them were very pretty but Diana Ross stood out because of her enormous eyes and very thin figure.   The Supremes made a total of 16 appearances on the Ed Sullivan show from 1964 to 1969. when Diana Ross left the group to pursue a solo career





Other style icons that I admired back in the 1960's and 1970's Diahann Carroll, Leslie Uggams, the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, Marlo Thomas and Italian actress Sophia Loren.













Here is Diahann Carroll in a movie still from the movie Claudine.  Diahann plays the part of a welfare mother, but even with attempts to make her look plain and drab her beauty still shines through.


 The cigarette is the only thing that ruins this picture of beautiful Sophia.




I loved watching Marlo Thomas playing the role of Ann Marie on That Girl every week.  Marlo was very entertaining and I loved her boyfriend Donald Hollinger played by the late actor Ted Bessell.   False eyelashes were big in the 60's and early 70's.  I did not get to wear them back then because I was a little girl.  By the time I became old enough to wear them they were no longer in style.  I am glad that now false eyelashes have made a huge comeback.  





 I grew up during the 60's and 70's so I prefer classic looks from that time period more than any other.  I love the makeup and clothes of the 60s' and 70's.  I had white go-go boots when I was a young girl.  I remember well my skinny toothpick legs sticking up out of them as I walked to school.  I felt so grown up when I wore them.  I loved my go-go boots!   I was not old enough to wear makeup at that time but believe me if I could I would have.  I could not wait to get a little older so that I could wear makeup.

No comments: